CHRIST’S ROYAL TITLES
‘And the government shall be upon His shoulder. His name will be wonderful, counsellor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of peace’. . [Isaiah 9:6-7]
Before I begin, I just want to apologise for the date mix up. We are officially on day 10 I think! LOL! This statement doesn’t mean our earthly governments are upon His shoulder; if they were we wouldn’t be in the mess we are now in! No, this is referring to a future government, God’s Righteous and Eternal Kingdom! We see something of this in Psalm 2. Note also, it’s on His shoulder, not shoulders! To get to that point He had to carry the cross and the sins of mankind upon His shoulders, that was the hardest part, His eternal rule of justice only requires one shoulder that’s because He is the Almighty one and nothing’s too hard for Him! A close study of Isaiah 9:1-7 reveals some interesting thoughts on Christ’s 2 Advents! [9:6] ‘Unto us a child is born’, refers to His first Advent! Verses 1-5 cover both Advents, and verse 7 covers His 2nd advent
His Royal titles show us how he He rules and the attributes of the Messiah which Jesus Christ totally fulfilled.
- WONDERFUL this literally means there is no other name like His! He is exceptional, distinguished and without equal! There is none like Him. Jesus fulfilled this title and will yet do so
- COUNSELLOR He is full of wisdom and sage advice. A quick glance of the gospels leaves us speechless as His words hit home. He always said the right thing at the right time and when appropriate never said a word. He listened and looked closely at every situation and made time for everyone, no matter what his or her status was. That’s a true counsellor and now through the Holy Spirit [Parakletos] we can receive the same counsel!
- MIGHTY GOD There’s no doubt about this one! He was and is Almighty God. His miracles alone confirm His Royal title, however, from His explosive resurrection to the impact of Pentecost and right up to our modern day, His almighty power, has and still is changing peoples lives for good and for His glory.
- EVERLASTING FATHER now at first this title baffled me! How could Jesus Christ and Abba both be Father? So I prayed and meditated upon it and feel God has given me the answer to which [at least] satisfies my curiosity! Abba Father is King, Creator and architect and therefore Father of ALL created things. He is the one who adopts us in to His family through Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of adoption! [Romans 8:15-16] However, for me, Jesus is kind of like my spiritual/biological father in the sense that I was ‘born again’ through Him! He gave spiritual birth to me! He was spiritually pregnant with me! I am one of HIS SEED! ‘It was God’s good plan to bruise Him and fill Him with grief however, when His soul has been made and offering for sin, then He shall have a multitude of children [SEED], many heirs.’ [Isaiah 53:10] Compare this with Hebrews 2:10 ‘in bringing many sons to glory, to make the author, BEGINNER / FATHER [BIRTH GIVER] of THEIR salvation perfect through sufferings’. For myself at least this explains why the Messiah is called Everlasting Father, He gave spiritual birth to us all through his death on the cross. No wonder He’s called wonderful!
- PRINCE OF PEACE This I think is self-explanatory! Jesus Himself said ‘peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you, not as the world gives give I peace to you’. John 14:27 His peace is not like the worlds peace a peace, which is transient, very weak and short lived. Christ’s peace is an inner peace. It’s inexplicable and unfathomable! We experience it when we choose not to worry and fret but commit every trouble and problem to Him through prayer with thanks giving and then the PEACE of God which is incomprehensible will keep our HEARTS and MINDS still and at rest in Christ Jesus.’ Philippians 4:6-7 [my paraphrase]
PRAYER Heavenly Father, words cannot express the awe and wonder I feel as I ponder these Royal titles of your Son and my Saviour Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ I love you my Lord and at this very special time of year my heart glows and thrills with adoration for you. May your name be lifted high and glorified this Christmastime. Amen.