Happy New Year to all bloggers! I begin this year looking at Biblical meditation as a few folk have expressed their desire to get more out of the Bible but don’t know how. The Bible is quite clear itself on this matter! Joshua 1:8 and Psalm 1 both clearly teach that spiritual success and prosperity comes from meditating on God’s word day and night! However, what does that really mean?
1. It means filling your mind with God’s word and not trying to empty your mind as transcendentalists do! To empty your mind is to give access to all kinds of stuff
2. It means constantly chewing over the Bible verse or thought or principle you are meditating upon till you have got out of it everything you possibly can.
3. It doesn’t mean having to constantly have a Bible in your hand or go away to a monestary for peace and quiet although there’s nothing wrong with that.
So, what is it then? Well the best way I can explain it for myself is the ‘cow chewing the cud principle’. As you know, cows chew their food, then drop it in to one of their four stomachs, then bring it back up, and then chew it again. They continue this process using their 4 stomachs till that which was green and coarse, is now white and full of goodness. Now, one thing I will be looking at is the fact that the cows do the chewing, but someone else benefits from it. What I am doing here is the chewing! You benefit from it, however, it is better for you to learn to chew too! I love milk, but there’s no way I could live off that for the rest of my life! I had to learn to chew solid for myself! I still like a glass of milk [spiritually that’s like reading a devotional like word for today] but I couldn’t mature and grow with just the milk of the word I need the meat too, just as babies and children do! I’ll go more in to that another day.
However, what I will do using the chewing cow principle is to break the thoughts down to four areas just as a cow uses its four stomachs! So it is going to look like this:
- WHAT DOES IT SAY ABOUT GOD?
- WHAT DOES IT SAY ABOUT ME?
- WHAT DOES IT SAY ABOUT FAMILY AND FRIENDS
- WHAT DOES IT SAY ABOUT AQUAINTENCES AND THE WORLD IN GENERAL