‘For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given’ [Isaiah 9:6]
The first advent or appearing of Christ the Messiah was predicted throughout the whole Old Testament! His place of birth, life and death and all the circumstances around it were predicted 1000s of years before the event and with precision accuracy! Below I’ll list a few.
- He would be human and an offspring off a woman. Genesis 3:15 ‘I will put enmity between you and the off-spring of the woman’ Galatians 4:4 ‘but when the time had fully come God sent His son, born of a woman’.
- He would be born of a virgin. Isaiah 7:14a ‘The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son’. Matthew 1:22-23 ‘all this took place to fulfil what the Lord had said through the prophet “the virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son’.
- He would be named Immanuel. Isaiah 7:14b ‘and will call him Immanuel.’ Matthew 1:23. ‘And will be called Immanuel’. Though there is no exact mention of Jesus being named this in the New Testament except in conjunction with this prophesy of Isaiah; however according to Hebrew usage of the name, the name doesn’t represent a title but a characterisation of the person. My personal thoughts on this are that Mary and Joseph would have used it as an endearing name to remind them that God is indeed with them. My mum used to call me ‘sunny Jim’. That wasn’t my title but an endearing term based on my character.
- He would be born in Bethlehem. Micah 5:2 ‘But you Bethlehem you are little to be among the clans of Judah, yet out of you shall one come forth for me one who is to be a ruler of Israel whose goings forth have been from of old, from ancient days’. Compare with Mt 2:1-6, Luke 2:4-6 and john 7:4.
- He would be a descendant of David. 2 Samuel 7:12-13 ‘I will raise up your offspring to succeed you  he is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of His kingdom forever.’ Matthew 1:1 ‘A record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ the son of David’.
- He would be a light for the Gentiles. Isaiah 9:1b-2 ‘but in the future he will honour Galilee of the Gentiles, by the way of the sea, along the Jordan and the people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the shadow of death, a great light has dawned’. John 8:12 ‘I am the light of the world, whoever follows me shall never walk in darkness’
- Many children would die around the time of his birth. Jeremiah 31:15 ‘Thus say’s the Lord: a voice is heard in Ramah, lamentation and bitter weeping Rachel is weeping for her children; she refuses to be comforted for her children because they are no more’. Compare with Matthew 2 16 When Herod realized that he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi. 17 Then what was said through the prophet Jeremiah was fulfilled:
18 “A voice is heard in Ramah, weeping and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more.”[d]
- He would be called out of Egypt. Hosea 11:1 ‘and out of Egypt I called my son’ Compare to Matthew 2:15 So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt, 15 where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: “Out of Egypt I called my son.”[c]
So, as far as I can see, God thought it very important that His people should be aware of the first advent of Christ and so He gave them many prophesies and promises regarding this great event! Does it not therefore stand to reason that He would want us to be aware of and prepared for the second advent of Christ? So I ask again, IS THE SECOND ADVENT ON OUR CALENDER? Are we at least considering it?
Now here are a few stats that should blow you away! I am quoting from ‘a case for Christmas’ by Lee Strobel. Regarding prophecies and coincidence theories! Strobel asks of Louise Lapides “Is it possible that Jesus fulfilled the prophesies by accident?” “Not a chance” came his response. “The odds are so astronomical that they rule that out. Peter Stoner* estimated that the probability of just eight prophecies being fulfilled is one chance in one hundred million Billion. That number is millions of times greater than the total number of people who’ve ever walked the planet! 45 were actually fulfilled!
PRAYER Abba Father those stats are phenomenal! And to think that there are 45 prophesies of Christ the Messiah that have been fulfilled! Wow, the odds of that are as estimated at “one chance in a trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion!”* Wow, Creator God, you are amazing and it makes me just want to worship, love and praise you more and more!
* Peter W Stoner, science speaks
Blessing and honour, glory and power, Be unto the Ancient of Days. From every nation, all of creation, Bows before the Ancient of Days.
Every tongue in heaven and earth Shall declare Your glory, Every knee shall bow at Your throne, In worship,
You will be exalted, oh God,
And Your kingdom shall not pass away,
Oh Ancient of Days.
Your kingdom shall reign over all the earth,
Sing unto the Ancient of Days.
None can compare to Your matchless works,
Sing unto the Ancient of Days.