WORD FOR TODAY. BOB GASS
Are You Selling Your Dream?
‘You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good…‘ Genesis 50:20 NIV
In the movie Up in the Air, actor George Clooney is hired by a major corporation to handle big lay–offs. His job is to fire people. In one scene when he’s about to fire an ageing middle manager, he notices on the man’s CV that he’d been trained as a French chef. As the man expresses despair over losing his job, Clooney reminds him of his original dream and asks him this soul–searching question: ‘Back when you started, how much did it take to buy you away from your dream?’ At that pivotal moment the middle manager thought back to the time he decided to settle for a steady pay packet in exchange for what he really wanted to do with his life. Are you doing that? Understand this: the day you were born God had a track for you to run on and an assignment for you to fulfil. * So the question you must ask yourself is this: ‘Is the difficult situation I’m in right now a God–given opportunity for me to go back and fulfil the dream God gave me in the first place?’ Looking back on the most painful chapter in his life, when he was betrayed by his family, Joseph said, ‘You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good.’ His greatest loss led Joseph to the fulfilment of the dream God gave him in the beginning. Is that your story too? Are you realising that you’ve settled for second best, and now God’s giving you a second chance; a chance to do the thing He put you in the world to do
* Ephesians 2:10 “For we are God’s own handiwork, created in Christ Jesus for good works which He has pre-destined us to practise. [Weymouth NT]
So, on Sunday 11th of October, I am having to think on these questions and review where I am and what God wants me to do! Have I settled for 2nd best re work/ministry? Have I give up my dream for an easy life and a regular pay check? How about you?
- ‘Back when you started, how much did it take to buy you away from your dream?’ To be honest at first I sought earnestly after what I thought was my dream. But then stuff got in the way and taking wrong advise and making wrong choices got me off track. And yes, I admit, a steady pay packet was a very good incentive to just mosey on along niceNeasy like! In fact I thought I had the best of both worlds! Now I don’t have the security of regular work and a nice steady pay packet! So I am asking myself, ‘what is the Lord saying to me at this present time through these circumstances?’
- The day you were born God had a track for you to run on and an assignment for you to fulfil. So am I still on track or have I gone off track? It’s a good question and one I am now daily praying about! If I have, then I’ll repent and pray God gets me back on track. If I’m on track, then I’ll ask God to direct me in the right paths!
- Is the difficult situation I’m in right now a God–given opportunity for me to go back and fulfil the dream God gave me in the first place? I guess I would have to say yes, it certainly looks that way to me! Before I lost most of my work, all I did was work, and though I always found time for the Lord and ministry and tunz of other stuff, nevertheless it was never good quality time, and I was always exhausted. So, to answer the question, ‘I hope it’s a God given opportunity to get back on God’s track, cuz time’sArunning out!’
- His greatest loss led Joseph to the fulfilment of the dream God gave him in the beginning. I’m not sure that 3 days a week loss of work is the greatest loss of my life, but it nevertheless ain’t nice especially as it gave me daily purpose, an income and kept me busy which I need as I get very frustrated if I am not being creative. However, it is a loss and I am praying it will be a catalyst to me getting back to what God called me to do originally which unless it’s changed, was music and teaching/preaching ministry.
And so, if you feel this is relevant for you as I feel it is for me, then pray this prayer with me.
PRAYER Heavenly Father God. I thank you that I am your handiwork, your creative workmanship. Your POEMA as the original calls it, a poem, a masterpiece, a glorious work of art, created to reflect the Creator by doing good works, amazing acts and deeds that you predestined and purposed for us to do from before the world was created. Thank you that I am recreated in the likeness of Christ and called to reflect His glory. Thank you that we are a light to shine in and dispel the darkness in this world and salt to savour a corrupt and degenerate world. Lord God all I can say is, ‘if I have gone off track then I am sorry and I pray you will take this opportunity to help me to get back on track, to re-commission me in to my original calling. Direct my thoughts and paths for your name’s sake and glory. Amen’.